Brand New Toy! Welcome Canon IXUS 40 to my collection!

Having sold my previous digital camera, Olympus C730 Ultra Zoom, to some dude for SGD$420. That means I just need to fork out another $100 or $200 to give myself an upgrade. My previous camera was a bulky one despite its manual capabilities and advanced features. I have since yearned for a compact pocket-sized camera.

These cameras had been on my consideration list for some time.
1) Canon IXUS 40
2) Casio Exilim Z50/55
3) Panasonic Lumix FX7
4) Pentax Optio S5i

My inital plan was to get an Ixus 40. This cam is 4MP and costs about SGD$620.
Pro:
1) Speedy processing by DiGiCII chip
2) Slim and sleek size
3) Colour changing calender
4) High resolution video recording
Cons:
1) 4MP for a price which can get a 5MP
2) Blurring at corners

Next considered camera was Exilim Z50/55 (5MP). Z55 is the same as Z50, except that it has an 2.5in LCD instead of a 2in LCD. The price of this cam is about SGD$ 650
Pro :
1) Long lasting battery
2) Best shots mode
Cons:
1) I find the LCD display quality very poor, after cheapskately trying it out at carrefour with no intention of buying.
2) Have to rely on bundled cradle to charge direct to cam and as well for transfer.

Lumix FX7 (5MP) sounds like some car. But this aint no car but is a great cam for its OIS. Price is about SGD $680. This cam has the OIS feature which helps to reduce blurry images (esp night shots) by averaging the logarithms from several 'captured' frames to make the image 'steady', an impressive feat.
Pro :
1) OIS (Optical Image Stabilizer)
Cons:
1) Since it has the OIS, Panasonic had decided that they can do away with the viewfinder to accomodate a larger LCD. This makes the user solely dependent on the LCD. This is not good as framing under bright sunlight will be hard using the LCD (that is why a viewfinder is needed). Futhermore, a viewfinder is useful when one needs to conserve battery.
2) Due the the dependence on the LCD and the OIS feature, the battery goes dead very fast.

Pentax Optio S5i (5MP) was nice and the smallest of the lot. It had a nice brushed finishing. I term this cam as cute (interface and size). My dear liked this cam as well, but her reason being the cute mode selection interface ^^'. This cam is about the price of IXUS 40 at SGD$ 620.
Pro :
1) Small size
2) Many shooting modes
3) The battery and camera can be charged on the bundled cradle at the same time.
Cons:
1) The extreme lag in buffer, especially in the burst mode (about 3 secs between each snap). This was the factor that put me off totally and settle for IXUS 40.

First to be eliminated was Casio Exilim Z55, since I cannot stand the LCD.
Next was Lumix FX7, because of the price, absence of viewfinder and the batt life.
Last to be eliminated was Optio S5i, the very same day I bought my final decision Ixus 40.

Now let me take you to see my new toy.


The box shot. Canon has changed the style of the box from their previous range of cameras. ~ Property of myBE@RBRICK.



Contents. ~ Property of myBE@RBRICK.



Contents. ~ Property of myBE@RBRICK.



The Canon camera strap. ~ Property of myBE@RBRICK.



Canon 16MB SD card. ~ Property of myBE@RBRICK.



A/V cable and USB cable. ~ Property of myBE@RBRICK.



The camera still in the meshed bag. ~ Property of myBE@RBRICK.



Front view. ~ Property of myBE@RBRICK.



Back view. ~ Property of myBE@RBRICK.




Software CDs. ~ Property of myBE@RBRICK.



The spare batt which I got for $20. ~ Property of myBE@RBRICK.



128MB Kingston SD card that was given by Canon. ~ Property of myBE@RBRICK.



Instruction manual. ~ Property of myBE@RBRICK.



I would like to thank my dear for helping me with the decision making as well as her camera Konica KD400Z for taking the pictures.

Comments