2006: A New Year

Welcome all to the new year in 2006,

It has really been some time since I updated this blog. I guess I am just plain too lazy to do so. Does that means that this blog will eventually be a 'dead-blog' and get thrown away like how we used to discard the old journals? 'No' is my answer as it isn't going to be so. Or am I going to start a new blog while this fades away? 'No' as well. As a matter of fact, I will be kicking into this new year with a resolution to update this blog as 'diligently' as the clock can spare me. Some major changes to take note of, should any graphics from the old posts be 'dead', please pardon and ignore as I will need to clear up cache in my 'picture-dump'. Nevertheless, there is still 'Image-Shack', but seriously we can't believe that the kind people at 'Image-Shack' will host a lifelong duration of free graphics for us.

So before we embark on the updates of recent events and encounters, let us take a flashback into events since the previous update where we talked about my trip to Eastern Europe.

NOVEMBER 2005

Nothing much really happened during November. The only thing that is worth commenting is the major move into my Gunpla collections.

1. GUNPLA
The great acquisition ambition came with the purchasing of a charming 'Astray Gundam Red Frame' (NG 1/100 Seed MSV). It was then a clearance at Hobby Art Gallery (HAG).


Figure 1. Astray Gundam Red Frame, piloted by Lowe Gule

'Aile Strike Gundam' (MG) was the next well-adored purchase from a Katootian trader, 'Deathless'. This kit features great articulations and details compared to the other grades. Since Aile Strike is the lead role of Seed series, having an MG version is necessary. Furthermore, the kits comes with a special catapult-styled launchpad/stand.


Figure 2. Aile Strike Gundam, piloted by Kira Yamato.

Another worthy-mentioned purchase was the 'Force Impulse Gundam' (RD 1/60 Seed Destiny) was acquired from a friend, Steven. The scale of 1/60 is usually intended for Perfect Grade (PG) kits, however, a new range appear with the evolution of Seed kits, such a range termed 'Real Detail 1/60 Big Scale'. Notably, this range or grade, despite its scale, the details are inferior to a PG and articulation as well as details-relative-to-scale is shy compared to an MG. But since, I have no intentions of getting PGs (just can't part with the money).


Figure 3. Force Impulse Gundam, piloted by Shinn Asuka.

Wing Gundam Zero Custom (MG) was acquired from a fellow forum trader nick 'StarDus'. The Wing Gundam Zero Custom is a kit that I had been eye-balling on for a long time, even before I'm into Gunpla. However, the version that really made me drool was the PG. Nevertheless, the next best thing to the PG is the MG version. This Wing Gundam Zero Custom is a custom of the original Wing Gundam Zero in Gundam W series. This version appeared and gained much popularity when the Wing Gundam Endless Waltz O.V.A was released. It then became an icon in Gunpla 'Hall of Fame' joing the well-known 'RX-78'.


Figure 4. Wing Gundam Zero Custom

Definitely more than these kits were acquired. However, I should perhaps list them in a separate post. During November, I also bought an All-In-One (AIO) Printer.

2. Brother Munti-Function Centre MFC-410CN
Brother's MFC-410CN. This printer allows me to Print, Scan, Copy and Fax for all just less than $300. This is also the first time I am trying out Brother printers, since my long-run with HP Pro Series ended when my brother moved. I believed that the Brother's Capillary Tube Ink Delivery System will not fail me.

Features:

  • 6-in-1 Colour Inkjet Multi-Function CentreColour printing, colour faxing, colour copying, colour scanning, PC faxing and PhotoCapture Centre-
  • Print Speed up to 20ppm (mono) and 15ppm (colour)-
  • Up to 1,200 x 6,000dpi print resolution-
  • 16MB stores up to 480 pages for out-of-paper reception-
  • Borderless Printing-
  • Network Ready



Figure 5. MFC-410CN



DECEMBER 2005

December came rather fast. It also end pretty fast. Begining with a hallmark conference in my career, International Conference in Biomedical Engineering (ICBME). An upgrade of my desktop took place, unplanned and unnecessary. Another important event to note is my reservist. Apart from that, I had done a lot of Christmas shoppings, Gunpla for myself and for my partner.

1. ICBME 2005
The conference was held during 7-10 December 2005 at Suntec Convention Centre. Initially, I had submitted a paper for a scientific poster presentation. However, I guess something went wrong and I had to present. Anyway, I have no fear for presentations since I know my stuff (not to be a boast but that's my motto). My topic was "The Effects of Bone Marrow-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells and Fascia Wrap Application to Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tissue Engineering". Everything was very smooth except for one thing, which leads us to the second topic.

2. An Upgrade to my Desktop
On the presentation day, while I was preparing my speech, my PC conked off on me. The screen went dim gradually and the monitor flashed a generic 'No Signal' warning. I protulated that it was time to change my monitor. But after some troubleshooting with the aid of a marvellous MSI on-board device, the boot-up halted at the point where graphics card was loaded. Thus, I eliminated the fact that the monitor was down and confirmed that a change of graphics card was necessary. I further confirmed my claim with the help of my friend, who kindly tested out the faulty card. Hence, after my conference, I went to Sim Lim to scout for a new graphics card. Since I wasn't familiar with Radeon cards, I stayed with nVidia cards. I chose a GeForce FX 5500 from Inno3D over GeForce 6800 GT, though the price difference is about $150, I decided that there is no need for a powerful card since I'm no longer an hard-gamer. Furthermore, I had been surviving on a GeForce 4 Titanium before this. So there I have it, an upgrade.

Product Specification :

  • Graphics Controller : NVIDIA® GeForce FX 5500
  • Memory Configuration : 256MB DDR Memory
  • Bus Interface: AGP8x
  • Product Overview :
  • Powered by nVidia GeForce FX 5500 GPU
  • 0.15 Micron Process Technology
  • CineFX™ engine
  • 128-bit studio-precision color
  • Architected for Cg
  • AGP 8X -2.1GB/s bandwidth to system
  • NVIDIA®'s nView™ multi-display technology
  • NVIDIA® Digital Vibrance Control™ 3.0
  • NVIDIA® NVRotate™
  • NVIDIA® NVKeystone™
  • Dual 350MHz RAMDACs support 2048x1536 resolution at 75Hz
  • 4 Pixels/Clock Rendering Pipeline
  • Pixel Shader and Vertex Shader 2.0
  • 64-phase Video Scaler
  • DVI support up to 1600x1200 resolution
  • Integrated NTSC & PAL TV encoder supports up to 1024x768 resolution
  • Integrated full hardware MPEG-2 decoder
  • Nvidia® ForceWare™ unified software environment (USE)
  • nVIDIA® Unified Driver Architecture (UDA)
  • Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 Optimizations and Support
  • OpenGL® 1.5 Optimizations and Support

Figure 6. Inno3D GeForce FX 5500

3. Reservist
It is the time of the year again for Reservist. After a year and half, just before I began my work in NUS, I attended my first or virgin In-Camp-Training (ICT). Back then, we converted to an field howitzer FH88. This time, a period between Christmas and New Year, my second ICT took place in Khatib Camp. This ICT was still a low-key, however, training was no slack at all. The itinery was as such: First day, we in-pro and get orientated on the ICT programme, followed by an individual physical proficiency test (IPPT). Second day, we moved out with our new weapon FH2000 to Sada Hill. We trained under temperamental weather but we were blessed without any heavy rain. We spent a night outfield and continued our training on the third day. The last day was spent practising on a gun simulator and physical training before out-pro.

4. Christmas Shopping
Speak of Christmas shopping, I think I showered myself with too many presents. My presents refer to Gunpla. My partner also had a wonderful time, since I offered her a 'limitless credit shopping spree'. She got herself plenty of clothes for sure. Despite having such a privilege, I got her a small diamond Necklace from SK Jewelleries. They say diamonds are the girls' best friend, agree and to add "should be men's too".

The Gunpla kits acquired during this month significantly changed the number of kits in my collection. From a number of 30 to 72, is definitely a gigantic leap. Let's see what noteworthy kits were added.

Strike Gundam Striker Weapon System (Real Detail 1/60 Seed) from HAG. The kit spots a GATX-105 Strike Gundam with weapon sets of Aile Strike, Sword Strike and Launcher Strike. When all three weapon systems are combined, a Tri-Strike (Alpha-Strike) Gundam is formed.

Figure 7. Strike Gundam Striker Weapon System

Destiny Gundam (HG 1/144 Seed Destiny) is a full-featured packed-in a HG 1/144 kit. It has got a stand and the well-received 'Wing of Light'.

Figure 8. Destiny Gundam, piloted by Shinn Asuka. This MS was given to Shinn Asuka by Chairman of ZAFT, Gil. The Destiny Gundam later destroy the Freedom Gundam.

Freedom Gundam (MG) was acquired through a friend also Katootian, Bigpoppapump. I asked myself, "I have an MG Aile Strike Gundam, how can I not have the MG Freedom Gundam?" Furthermore, the MG Freedom Gundam is the only grade among all, to be able to High MAT in full deployed wings.

Figure 9. Freedom Gundam, piloted by Kira Yamato. This ZAFT developed MS was given to Kira by Lacus Clyne after Kira's Strike Gundam was destroyed by Athrun Zala's Aegis Gundam.

Wing Gundam Custom Ver.Ka (MG) was acquired shortly due to inability to resist the temptation. This kit is modelled after the original Wing Gundam Zero , however, this was redesigned by Ka.

Figure 10. Wing Gundam Ver.Ka.

Meteor Unit and Freedom Gundam (HG 1/144 Seed) was acquired through Bigpoppapump again. This excellent HG kit features the Mobilesuit Embedded Tactical EnfORcer (Meteor) Unit, which is supposedly a gun dismounted from the front of Lacus's ship, Eternal. The Eternal has two such guns and are delivered to the Freedom and Justice Gundams. The duo will mount onto the Meteor and reign the space.

Figure 11. Meteor Unit and Freedom Gundam

5. 'The ROCK', The 'Brilliant Rose'
December 4th 2005 is the beginning and the oath shall be answer only when the time is ripe.

Comments