IT Show 2006 : Before, During & After

It is the time of the year again for the IT Show.
A time where IT geeks or non-geeks will splurge in IT products.
The IT show is also where people grab good deals and also where people get conned too.
I decide to name this topic based on the IT Show 2006 since this is the highlight of the day.
Now a chronological documentation of the day's events.

0930h: Finished up the last of the SD Perfect Zeong which I had started building. Note that the panel lining has yet been done. After which I picked out one of the many 1/144 kits from my enormous backlog, for construction. I was in a dilemma which to build and eventaually decided to build the Providence Gundam.

SD Perfect Zeong prior to panel washing and top-coat.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

1430h: Met up with my army friend, Tay Kok, to visit the IT Show at Suntec Convention Centre. We started off by heading to Carrefour to get a drink, since we expected that we were early (not really). I saw that Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire DVD was on sale, so I decided to check it out. There are 2 releases, a single disc widescreen feature without paper sleeve at $24.90 and double-disc with paper sleeve at $34.90. It may sound rather silly to get pay $10 more for the extra disc with features (which I don't usually watch) and paper sleeve. But since all the other episodes were double-disc features with paper sleeves, I had to get the latter.

Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire Double-Disc DVD
Box shots

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The DVD case out of the virgin sleeve
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The movie disc features the famous trio
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The features disc features Mad-eye Moody and the competitors of the TriWizard tournament.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

1500h: I commenced on my hunt for a 17-inch LCD display panel. Among the many choices, LG, Philips and Viewsonic were my potential brands, but Acer came in when I saw their 19-inch Wide Screen LCD panel at $399. So I started to go around and check out each of their warranty policy.

  • Philips: I had intention to go for the 17-inch display at $379. However, I realised that it is not covered by their Perfect Panel policy (which is actually 3 years of 0 dots exchange policy!). The one with the Perfect Panel is too pricey at above $400. So Philips is first to be out.
  • Viewsonic: They had one with DVI selling at $399. The warranty covers 0 pixel for 1st year and 3 for the remainder. It was considered good deal.
  • LG: With DVI, $399 too. It had only 7 days 0 pixel exchange and after which is 3 for the remainder. Not too bad as well and furthermore it is made in Korea.
  • Samsung: Curse their 7 pixels warranty. The sale girl claims, "Samsung's is quality and the 7 pixels warranty shouldn't be an issue." I rebuked her, "If Samsung is good, why are they afraid to give 0 pixel warranty?" and that left her speechless.
  • Acer: Acer is where I spent most of my time oogling at the 19-inch wide screen display at just $399! But after asking many of their staff, none of them could answer me! I had intended to use this display to replace my gf's cranky 14-inch lappy screen, hence I am unsure if the lappy will support and display wide screen correctly. Apparantly, it was Viewsonic staff that answered my question and that I might end up have 2 black bars at the sides or a stretched display. So I change my mind about the wide-screen, furthermore, it only has an analog input. For the sake of the future use on my desktop (if after I serviced the lappy's cranky display or if it conked off), I should get one with DVI. Hence, I started to look at 17-inch with DVI. The AL1751 caught my attention. But hey! If I decide to go for 17-inch, I shoudl go for Viewsonic since it had the best warranty. I headed back up to Viewsonic at level 6, but too bad they just sold out! DARN! I returned back down to Acer again. I decided on the $388, 3 dots warranty isn't so bad and not very much different from LG's warranty. The interesting bit.... Prior payment, I insisted that the the staff show me the 3 pixel warranty claim. But they are unable and said that it is for show purchases only and normal Acer gives 5 pixels warranty. I had to make sure that their 'show only claim' stands, so I made them write their claim on my receipt. They agreed and I paid. They gave me my receipt and took me to find their sale manager to get the endorsement as shown below:Image Hosted by ImageShack.usAfterwhich, I realised that he endorsed on mine, but not his carboncopy and this means that Acer can jsust say that I wrote it myself! I should have asked him to chop their company logo on it as well and to do the same for the carbon copy! How silly of me! Thinking back, I might as well go for LG! A real silly mistake I made today, which I can only laugh about.
Still in the box, waiting to be delivered to my girlfriend's place. I'm paying for her to use, how nice of me....
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

2100h: Finally after waiting for almost half an hour at AMK MRT station, me and Tay Kok got our Merz cab. I accompanied him since he was too lazy to carry his trolley with his Brother DPC-115C printer onboard the bus and he wanted to give me a ride. Got home, put my things down and carried on to complete my NG 1/144 Providence Gundam. I completed it at around 2330h, left with the panel lining and top-coat, which I'll do when I wake up later.....

Here's a preview of the NG 1/144 Providence Gundam.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Damnn..... my eyelids are drooping down! I gotta catch my Zzzzz.......

Comments