Amoy Street Hawker Centre

Since I was on leave today,
I have decided to pay a visit to the Amoy Street Hawker Centre.
The only hawker centre found in the city and only serves during weekdays lunch hours.
The hawker centre has two levels of stalls and the foodfare at Amoy Street are no doubt the best and most queued.
The reason for long queues is either the cheap price or the food is superb. I very much agree on the latter.
I have tried queuing up at one of the longest queues and I got no complaints when I finally get to taste.
So whats so great about Amoy Street Hawker Centre?

Read on to find out more....

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Fish soup with rice from Piao Ji Fish Porridge.
This is the one queue that made me stand for 30 mins at the peak of the lunch hour. Today was the second time I queued for their fish soup and I still could not bring myself to order the most expensive promfret fish soup with prawns priced at S$10. The price ranges from S$5 to S$10. The cheapest being just fish soup. I ordered the fish soup with prawns, the smallest size being S$7.
The soup was the tastiest clear fish soup that I have ever tasted in my life! Not even the ex-Blanco Court Fried Fish Soup can match up!
The fish meat are very fresh and not a bit of fishy stench can be detected. The soup is poured over a generous serving of 'tang or' (Crysanthemum leaves) and topped with tiny chunks of fried garlic and shallots. The prawns were fresh, succulent and sweet, definitely worth the additional S$2.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Lor Mee (Braised Pork Noodle).
From the right-side corner of the second level, above the POS ATM. I failed to remember their name. But I can only conclude that the queue is probably due to the price at S$2. Nothing really fantastic about the gravy, the most important component of Lor mee. You can definitely pass on this.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Ondeh Ondeh.
This is bought from the Nonya kuey (sweet cake) stall on the ground level. I love their Ondeh Ondeh. Ondeh Ondeh is a small sweet potato-cum-tapioca flour ball with pandan flavoured skin coated with coconut shaving and the core filled with gula melaka. Some say Amoy Street have the best Ondeh Ondeh in Sinapore. I agreed when I tried it the very first time. Upon biting into the soft chewy skin, the gula melaka syrup oozes out, flooding your mouth with nothing but the taste of heaven! If you are still worried over getting fat from these, you are really missing out!


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Good food are definitely worth the wait..
The next challenge will be the wanton noodle queue.

technorati tags

Comments