Brutal Clash at Kallang Coffeeshop

So after the durian session at Geylang, the trio of us decided that we go for a coffee session before heading home, so we walked over to the Upper Boon Ken Road Lorong 1. This is a new site for HDB flats called Geylang Square, near the Kallang MRT station (click on map below to enlarge). There is a coffee shop at the ground level of a multi-storey carpark. We ordered coffee and sat down to chat. We were sitting at the corner of the corridor of the coffee shop. We were in the non-smoking zone, so I could not help but notice a table of 5 young adults drinking and smoking away. They were just 2 tables away from us.

While I was engaging in a conversation with then guys, I could not help looking at the direction where I overlook the whole seating area. The table of five was just by the road side and behind them is the plates collection point.

Shortly, most of the guys from the table left, leaving two guys behind. Soon, a long-hair pony-tailed (whom I refer to as Chang Mao) middle-aged guy came and sat on the same table facing the duo. They were chatting away and so were we. Then all of a sudden, we heard Chang Mao yelling 'NB CCB' (vulgarity in Hokkien) at the top of his voice.

The duo stood up and started showing fists. The next thing was the sound of glass breaks. Apparantly, the duo had hurled a beer bottle at the direction of Chang Mao. Chang Mao rose to his feet and continued yelling 'NB CCB' multiple times, followed by a few glass break sounds and some guys from surrounding table rose as well and had the plastic chairs in their hands. I was not too sure who were hurling glasses or bottles, but at the commotion of my surrounding people starting to shift. It pushed our panic button.

Don and GS quickly grabbed a few items and started taking flight towards direction of the Geylang Square flats. I also could not remember how I managed to grab Don's bag since they ran before I did. Adrenaline was pumping at maximum all of a sudden. It was clear that a bunch of people were with Chang Mao and broke into a chase after the intial duo. They had chairs and glass bottles. They ran towards the same direction as Don and GS, so was I. Within a second I ran off from the coffee shop, I looked back and saw that they were just behind me! I did not wish to be the victim of some poor aiming or being mistaken as part of the other party, so I made an emergency break and wanted to change direction towards the coffee counter in the coffee shop. Little did I realise that if it was mistaken identity, one of them would have smashed my head with a bottle. But luckily, they all continued to give chase up to Upper Boon Keng Road.

The scene at the coffeeshop became calm within seconds. I was standing only just a few steps away from the coffeeshop and walked back to my seat for my bag of mangosteens left on the table. There were broken beer bottles and glass cups all over the floor. If we had remained in our position, we could have possibly been hit by some ricocheting glass shards. I was instantenously worried for GS and Don, who were in the same direction where the chase headed. Within that split second, I had the thought to call Don but I knew that he should be running for his life and my call would not be answered. I should not call him in case his ringtone drew any attention from the chasers.

Don and GS reappeared back and we immediately left the scene. Shortly after ten minutes, an ambulance came, followed by the cops. Thanks to Don who rescued my watch and I rescued my mangosteens!

One struggle at Geylang, one brutal clash at Kallang, all within one night.
Looks like 2202 is a lucky number to buy 4D.
This is the first time in my life where I was caught in the middle of a life-and-death situation in the heat of a brutal clash.
I am still wondering what could have turned their conversation to vulgarities and from vulgarities to breaking bottles and brutal chase.

Comments

Laurens said…
U all should have turned ur table on its side and hide behind it like a shoot out.
Anonymous said…
glad you and your friends were not hurt. Quite frightening to think that they might have attacked you when you suddenly stopped like that. I suppose these gang fights are usually either over $$$, women or territory ... or in some cases 'what are you staring at?'
Anonymous said…
awww... u guys are still alive keke...
WILLIAM TAN said…
shufen> we will tell them not to kill us, we give you girls...
the first girl will be YOU!!
White Dahlia said…
Wah... scary sieh!! If the number you buy opens must treat me ok!!
Anonymous said…
Wah like the show triple 9. And why give shufen? Must give white mil...dahlia instead mah.
White Dahlia said…
DUN WANT!!! Push 'mr anonymous' aka JASON ONG to 'Chang Mao'
Anonymous said…
Wah wife beater in the making ah!..Janie and me are too cute to get beaten up..go for the ugly!*points to the boys*
WILLIAM TAN said…
mr anonymous, do you mean to complete the white mil with an f? that doesnt seems right since white dahlia is not a mum yet.
any hey, that does give your identity away as JO.

i can already imagine JO running for his life in such a life & death situation.

shufen, i agree with u, but janie only not you. u belong to the latter!
White Dahlia said…
AHHh!! Horrified! To William> Bish! Bish! Take tt!