Look what I have had! Pasar Malam and Swee Choon

From Bugis to Jalan Besar, we had to walk past the pasar malam (trade fair & night market) at the open field beside Bugis Village. How can we carry on our walk with a rumbling tummy! So we decided to pic up a RAMLY Chicken Burger for S$2.50 to munch along the way. I'll be damned if I never pick up these mean little green tapioca pancakes, 3pcs for S$1.


Start with an egg, spread it over the hot plate in two swift strokes, smack a cooked chicken patty in the middle, slap on a slice of cheddar cheese, drizzle some BBQ sauce, wrap everything up in the egg, toss some lettuce onto a burger bun, drizzle mayonnaise over the greens an lastly sandwich the chicken-egg patty. It only takes less than 3 minutes to get a brilliant RAMLY Burger!
Ramly Burger sure rocks! Least, IMHO, better than those from the "Golden Arch"!


These lovely crispy tapioca pancakes is one of my favourite snack from a pasar malam!

I have always loved dim sum. Apart from favourites like Red Star and 126 Eating House, Swee Choon Tim-Sum Restaurant at Jalan Besar, is my most frequently visited dim sum joint. I will usually visit Swee Choon for dinner or supper before visiting the nearby Mustafa Centre. To my surprise, since my last visit, they have expanded their shop from 2 to 3 shops! The new shop also joined internally to the rest, has got saloon seating!


Tea cups are presented in a pot of hot water, typical Cantonese style. No! You do not drink the water! It is meant for sterilizing the cups!

Order! Order! Order! You take you pick by placing ticks on the ordering chit.

Carrot cake is of the right texture and has a strong taste of dried shrimps.
Shrimp in beancurd skin roll is our favourite no matter where we go! The shrimps are succulent and fresh!
A rather unique Mee Suah kueh (Rice Vermicelli cake) is made from cooked mee suah with dried shrimps and shallots, compacted into a block and deep-fried to a light tan! Taste exactly like having mee suah soup, less the soup!
Char Siew Buns here are made of good quality lean meat with little fat.
Another of my favourite is a good bowl of Century egg congee. Some places serve plain-tasting congee with century egg added prior serving, but the ones at Swee Choon are quality stuff!
Have you visited Swee Choon Tim Sum Restaurant yet?
If not, make sure you visit them! Note: they only open in the evening to early morning.


technorati tags

Comments

KENNY said…
Eh... why the sudden influx of food posts? Make me so gian for Singapore food.
WILLIAM TAN said…
Kenny said...
Eh... why the sudden influx of food posts? Make me so gian for Singapore food.

i makan out most of the time mah... heehee...
very fast you will be back liao mah! the chinese food in US quite salty one hor?
KENNY said…
I only had Chinese food here once. Our lecturer brought us to this place and the food was damn power. It's so much like SG tze-char that you wouldn't believe it!
WILLIAM TAN said…
Kenny said...
I only had Chinese food here once. Our lecturer brought us to this place and the food was damn power. It's so much like SG tze-char that you wouldn't believe it!

I believe they have chilli crab, black pepper crab etc.
so do they have the "Singapore Noodle" dish?
KENNY said…
Xin Zhou Mee Fen? Maybe, but I wasn't in the mood for noodles that day so I might have missed it.