Look what I have had! Japanese Curry @ CURRY FAVOR

I have always adored Japanese Katsu (cutlet) from places like MOF, TONTOM and Sushi Tei, and especially Japanese Curry Katsu, particularly from Romankan Yokohama. There is no better place for a new outlet serving Japanese Curry Katsu, but Novena Velocity (formerly known as Novena Square) above Novena MRT Station. The new restaurant is called Curry Favor Japanese Kitchen. The first outlet of Curry Favor can be found at Stamford House. This, I believe, is their second (don't quote me on this). I frequent Novena Velocity, which is beside the new Novena Square2, because it is near Fio's home. So I can now make excuses to indulge in Japanese curries, since I love them and occassionally whips up a mean spicy Japanese Curry meal for my family.
CURRY FAVOR
Official Website

Curry Favor Japanese Kitchen is located at level 3 of Novena Velocity, main wing (not the new extension wing where the food court and sporting apparal outlets are).


Curry Favor provides an extensive selection of interesting starters, ala-carte dishes, Japanese Curry dishes and not to forget desserts. The highlights of their menu are of course the Japanese Curries which are available with katsu, seafood, beef, pork, chicken or vegetables served on rice or Japanese noodles. This is the first restaurant which I have been to, that serves Japanese Curry noodles. However, we had their recommended dishes, Rosu Katsu Curry and Pork Stewed Curry. We also ordered a starter, Age Cheese Chikuwa.



All main meals come with complimentary sides of either salad or miso soup.


Age Cheese Chikuwa
S$6.90
The Age Cheese Chikuwa comes in a serving of two quantities. We had 6 pcs. Golden deep fried squid rings stuffed with cheese and topped with Japanese mayonnaise. It seemed unique until my first bite. The squid rings are actually the squid-meat-blended-with-flour rings that are available at the yong tau foo stall. I was rather disappointed by it. I thought that the cheese would melt and flow out from the core of the ring, but the cheese though soft, did not flow out.



Rosu Curry Katsu
S$13.90
Chef's Recommended
Two huge slabs of crispy pork katsu served with Japanese rice, preserved radish and a silver jug of curry. The rice is moist and soft which can be rather filling. The katsu is a tasty, juicy and tender slab of pork coated in a crispy golden fried breaded crust. The best part is still definitely the curry. All curries come in two level of spicy. I had more spicy. The curry is not overly 'sweet' like some Japanese curry out there. The curry is also very fragrant and tasty, though we find it a tad too salty to consume it without rice. The consistency of the gravy is also very thick, unlike the cheaper ones that are watered-down. I thought that the curry would not be enough for us to share and finish our meal, I was wrong. Out of curiousity, I asked if they do top-ups of curry, and was told that I had to order it as a separate ala-carte.




Pork Stewed Curry
S$13.90
Chef's Recommended
Like the Rosu Curry Katsu, this dish comes with Japanese rice and preserved radish. Instead of having the meat separate from the curry, the tender pork belly meat comes in a thick stewed curry with carrot and potato chunks. I thought that the curry would taste the same, but the stewed curry has a distinctively different taste from the one from the Rosu Curry Katsu, most probably from the juice of the pork belly.



Verdict
Curry Favor will definitely satisfy any Japanese Curry fanatic, like myself, with their thick and tasty curry. With prices of mains ranging from S$13.90 to S$20+ (for seafood curries), it definitely caters to the diners with different budgets. I had the cheaper ones and am contended. The portion may be deceivingly small for a huge appetite, but trust me, you will be surprised by how filling it can be, to finish everything on the plate. Do drop by Curry Favor at Novena Velocity, to give it a shot. I am certain that you will be satisfied!
Note that standard service charges apply.

technorati tags

Comments