Look what I have had! Bibimbap & Kimchi Soup @ Hanok Rice & Noodle

With the recent influx of Korean culture into Singapore, there are more and more Korean food, irregardless of authenticity, making their way into the local food scene. I only started appreciating my Korean food when I visited Cambodia earlier this year. Apart from visiting the food courts for the usual Kimchi Jjigae, Ginseng Chicken, Grilled Saba Fish and Grilled Chicken or Beef, I had visited "Janchijib" for something more authentic.
Most of us know and have probably tried "My Mum's Cuisine" products (available in the local supermarkets) and restaurants. From the same people behind "My Mum's Cuisine", comes "Hanok Rice and Noodle" restaurant, which is located at United Square basement (facing atrium) at Novena. After checking out the menu and considering to be reasonably priced with comprehensive list of Korean cuisine and Chinese La-Mian (handmade noodles), I decided to try their food. Not very good with Korean cuisine, I found myself ordering the same stuff as I did at "Janchijib".


Dolsot Bibimbap (Chicken)
비빔밥
S$6.80
As usual, the Bibimbap (with Chicken) is served in a hotstone bowl with a neat display of ingredients, namely cucumber, carrots, soya bean sprouts, shitake mushrooms, vegetables, spicy chicken with sesame seeds, onion and a raw egg. Three small dishes were served alongside. They are the sauce for Bibimbap, kimchi and soya bean sprouts. After blending the sauce into the Bibimbap, the lovely golden mixed rice is ready for diggin' in!





Kimchi Soup
김치찌개
S$6.50
The kimchi soup comes with kimchi, tofu, golden needle mushrooms and clear rice vermicelli. The soup is very spicy and sour, such that I was choking a few times and having 'burnt' lips.

Disposeable wet napkin had a modernized graphic of the original "My Mum's Cuisine" photo.


Verdict
Though slightly pricer than the food courts, "Hanok Rice and Noodle" definitely serves better tasting and delicious korean food. Note that 10% service charge and 7% GST applies here. I am contended with the food they serve and will try their La-mian sometime. I will recommend this to anyone who is comfortable with the price and likes Korean food. However, for anything more authentic, "Janchijib" is the place to visit!

technorati tags

Comments