save the cats

"save the cats"
Equipment: Nikon D200 with Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
Photography by William Tan

save the cats

I love doing photography of cats and giving them recognition by presenting their most adorable side to the general public. These poor felines lived a homeless life as stray. Most of them are domestic a birth and abandoned later to dwell in the 'wild'. Where they meet other abandoned and strays, resulting in an uncontrolled propagation of offpsrings. Even humans are carnal creatures, cats are no different. Even though these cats are abandoned, there are many kind people who still showed their concern for them. Some even brought food and water for them. For myself, I am trying to adopt a habit of keeping a satchet of "Whiskers" handy. Those who wish to feed these cats, please clear up the left over food to avoid attracting rats. Note that these days, cats do not chase, catch or eat rats! Inconsiderate acts will only attract more fingers pointing at the poor kitties. Then there are those who hate cats! Nothing wrong if one dislikes cats, but cat-abusers burn in the deepest hell! They really should try taking on cats of their own size! A Bengal tiger will be a good start! Speaking of cat-abusers, this leads me into relating to my very own encounter with one.

Blog: Message to Create Awareness about Stray Cats

My Encounter with an Unkind Cat Abuser
As usual, I visited my 'old friends' at their 'home' again. We were getting really comfortable with each other's presence. She granted me the permission to snap her pictures by not showing signs of retaliation, and so I proceeded. I attracted plenty of attention towards my antics, but I just carried on with what I was supposed to do. Then came this middle-aged man in his 40s, who told me that there is no photography allowed. I ignored him as I know my vicinity and my rights as a photographer well. He then felt like a fool talking to himself, so he started to shoo the cat away. A spark started inside me, which I suppressed in silence. However, when he started to physically nudge the resting cat with his hands, my blood started to boil. When the cat was reluctant to move, he started to kick her. I rose to my feet and demanded him to stop! He showed me a crappy green photo ID, which looked nothing like anything official, and told me again that no photography was allowed. When he chased after the cat, I caught up to him and demanded seeing the ID again. He was scared and refused. The rage in me roared and I was only restraining any physical conflicts. I threatened to call the authorities to report his abuse on the cat with my photo evidence. He then started to take off. I stalked him openly and he realised that I was doing so. He started walking faster and not making sense in his directions. It then struck me that I was there for a mission, to photograph and feed my feline 'friends', hence I stopped chase.

What would you have done if you were me? What would you have done if you meet an animal abuser?

technorati tags

Comments

Anonymous said…
if you were taking pics in a public area, there's no reason why photography is not allowed. Did you take a pic of this guy .... could report him to SPCA I think.

If it's a private area, perhaps they might have a reason for restriction. Once I was at Biopolis and wanted to take some pics of the nice surrounding, I made sure I asked for permission from the security guard there.

Did you read the recent news about this same cat abuser who poked out one of the kitties eye .... sick, real sick.
WILLIAM TAN said…
edna said...
if you were taking pics in a public area, there's no reason why photography is not allowed. Did you take a pic of this guy .... could report him to SPCA I think.

If it's a private area, perhaps they might have a reason for restriction. Once I was at Biopolis and wanted to take some pics of the nice surrounding, I made sure I asked for permission from the security guard there.

Did you read the recent news about this same cat abuser who poked out one of the kitties eye .... sick, real sick.


yeah its public. I regretted I had not shot his picture!

yes no picture taking allowed in Biopolis. if you really want to, you have to do it discretely or seek permission from JTC.

that sick man will be punished eventually. he may slip through the fingers of law, but his disrespect for another being will be severly judged!