Look what I have had! Sausage and Burger @ Crazy Ang Mo

We have heard about it and read about it, but is "Crazy Ang Mo" really living up to its reputation as a competitor against "Botak Jones", in being the "imported hawker western food"? "Crazy Ang Mo" works on the icon of a boxing Wallaby of Australian origin, while "Botak Jones" is represented by the American botak (bald) boss. Arthur and I scoured the depths of Bishan residential zone in search for the secluded coffeeshop where "Crazy Ang Mo" operates. During our earlier visit, we ere slapped in the face with a "Sorry, we are closed for renovation" from their staff. But that did not deter us from trying again. During this second visit, there was no queue at all. We looked at the short menu on the display board and I started wondering why did they claim to be serving "Aussie food"? I happened to have lived in Australia before and what "Crazy Ang Mo" serves is nothing like Aussie food. We made our orders and had to wait like patients seeing the doc, waiting for our order number to be flashed on the LED display panel before proceeding to self-serve. With the food self-served, here is my take.


Pork Sausage
S$6.50
When I first got my order, I thought I had ordered a plate of salad and sausage on the side! The pork sausage seems like those that you can buy from meat gourmet in Cold Storage. The sausage is lightly grilled. The mashed potato has got some slight chunks and a tinge of sour cream taste. I don't see the point of stir-frying the onions, and would have prefered if they put more effort into preparing the sausage or some sauce for the sausage.




Crazy Burger
S$7.50
With a name that seems like it is going to confuse diners with Botak Jones' "U Crazy Wat!" burger which is way much more wholesome than this. This Crazy Burger is made up of a thin beef patty, strip of bacon, sunny-side-up egg, cheddar, greens and beetroot. The patty is rather juicy but apart from the mild grilled taste, no noteworthy tastes. Served on the sides are some fries.



Verdict
I am definitely disappointed by its highly-acclaimed reputation. It seems like "Crazy Ang Mo" is after all just a hype banking on the success of "Botak Jones". They definitely need to work on the menu and taste. If that is not possible, probably increasing the portion to make it more value for money will work. Futhermore, I get served properly at "Botak Jones" despite all the waiting. I just don't dig self-serve after some waiting (though I didn't wait long as there was no queue). They have schnitzel but I don't think I will try it just in case I wreck my passion for this German chicken cutlet. Did I mention German? Where is the Aussie!? Right! They have Fish-and-Chips, but is it comparable to that from "Fisherman's Wharf"? I doubt so, but that is until I bring myself to try "Crazy Ang Mo's".
You can probably skip this.

technorati
tags

Comments