ZyXEL P-320W Wireless Router

It is about time! I have been wanting to get a wireless router, but I already had an ethernet router and furthermore, having wireless access was just luxury and under-utilised since I only use my Apple iBook on my workdesk. But I had to buy myself one last weekend.

Bugged by lossy internet connections and problems uploading with IE 7, I thought it had been my browser settings. However, when my Mozilla Firefox 2.0 started giving my connection problems to gmail, I shifted my suspicions to my broadband ISP, SNBB. SNBB promises dedicated bandwith with mine being 1Mbps, it cannot be that more people in my area are using at the same time, this ain't the fat green tube that works with huge bandwidth pond. I called the SNBB helpdesk and requested my connection to the ISP to be checked. An ftp connection to the ISP server replied a download speed of 146kbytes/sec. The operator told me to multiply by 8 and that it is within specification. I was like "wtf!" I thought I should be having 1Megabytes/sec!! I later then realised that 1Mbps meant 1 megabit per sec! (8 bits is 1 byte).
I started to reset my modem and router to factory defaults which was useless. I then reset my SNBB password online, only to discover that my password and userid are not matching, suggesting that my password was probably hacked! I then called up the SNBB helpdesk, went through a series of generic options and keys before I was transfered to the operator. I requested a password reset and was immediately given a new one. I was told to try 15-30mins later for the password to be active. I waited an hour and it still does not connect. I called again and another operator told me that the password probably conflicts with my userid (which was like "wtf!"). With my new password which he tried on their side and proved working, I was told to try again 5 minutes later, which of course failed. Fed up and frustrated I slept on it.
The next day, I called up the helpdesk again to query my connection problem. The young female voice at 8 a.m. (the time when helpdesk starts to operate) checked that new password and told me that it does not work. She reset it for me once again and asked to try it out immediately while she held the line. Still unable to connect, she led me through a series of software (IE 7) and network configurations. She then troubleshoot my problem to be the router, when she told me to unplug my RJ-45 cable (from PC) from the router and plug into my SIEMENS SpeedStream 4100 directly. Viola, it worked!
Though my connectivity is resolved, I am still puzzled how come my old SMC Barricade ethernet router is the problem. The communication of all the ports worked fine between my iBook and Brother MFC-410CN network printer, both on LAN. I presumed the WAN port on the SMC ethernet router was the problem. I then knew I had to change one, since without a network router, I cannot use my printer! After some scouting at SLS, my selection criterias are distinct: compatible wireless transfer rate (54Mbps; G standard) and at least 4 ethernet ports. With these basic criterias, there are many models to choose from. I avoided Linksys as advised and omitted SMC. I considered D-Link (offers lifetime warranty), Buffalo (3 years warranty) and Netgear (2 years warranty). I had intention to choose the cheapest and so it was Netgear until I was recommended ZyXEL (Taiwan), which was the cheapest (3 years warranty)!! I had doubts initially but 3 years warranty is good enough until the newest technology becomes cheaper.


ZyXEL P-320W
802.11g Wireless Firewall Router
S$55.00
A 4-port ethernet switch with wireless access point. The wireless access point operates at a IEEE 802.11g standard with maximum transfer rate of 54Mbps. Though some routers boasts higher standard speeds but only available when the wireless adaptor can transmit at the same higher standard, i.e. both wireless adaptor and router must match and usually same brand. Wireless security can be easily setup with ZyXEL's One-Touch Intelligent Security Technology (OTIST) feature incorporated into a button. The P-320W comes with a built-in SPI firewall to block intruders. A free 5dbi long range antenna is given to replace the existing 2dbi standard antenna, in order to extend the signal strength and range.

Included items are: Documentations; AC adaptor, P-350W router with 2dbi antenna, 5dbi antenna, telephone cable, Help CD.
The free 5dbi long range antenna is not necessary for my small apartment. It is more intended for big houses probably those with double storeys.





Technical Specifications
WLAN Standard
IEEE 802.11g/b compliance
Security
64/128-bit WEP Encryption
WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access) support
Antenna
2dbi antenna (Standard)
5dbi antenna (Free)
Memory Size
1MB Flash, 2MB DRAM
Hardware Specification
LAN: Four 10/100Base-T Ethernet, full duplex RJ-45 connector with auto MDI/MDIX support
WAN: One 10/100Base-T Ethernet, full duplex RJ-45 connector with auto MDI/MDIX support
Power Supply: 12V AC, 1 A
Reset Button
OTIST Button
Physical Specification
Dimensions:115(W) x 162(D) x 33(H)mm
Weight: 250 g
Environmental Specifications
Temperature: 0 °C to 50 °C
Humidity: 20 to 95 % (non-condensing )

So far it is working fine and giving me good connection speed both via LAN and wireless.

Comments

Anonymous said…
so you're not renewing your contract?

My system too has become very sluggish with unresponsive windows, not sure how to correct it. See gmail.
Laurens said…
wah lau,router also must take pix and haolian meh?
sooner/later it'll be chucked in a corner and become dusty and forgotten until it is spoilt,then replaced...lol
WILLIAM TAN said…
yes i am extending in jan. so that easier to keep track.