EATZ: Shun Tuck Cheong Fun

If you search "good food chinatown", you are likely to hit "People's Park Cooked Food Centre" and "酿豆腐" (Yong Tau Foo) as results.
Indeed People's Park Cooked Food Centre is like a gem in Chinatown, where hawker foodfare becomes the pride of Singapore. There is definitely plenty of good food at People's Park Cooked Food Centre and the most popular being the "Yong Tau Foo", particularly "永祥兴豆腐" located at #01-1084. "永祥兴" keeps their "Yong Tau Foo" very close to its Hakka origin; its ingredients standard to just 4 items and no more than that. There is also no rice or noodles available. Despite so different from the rest, the queue just does not seem to end, so my rumbling stomach tells me that I need my chow fast and queuing is not an option. I peeled my eyes open and look for something different. I then found "Shun Tuck Cheong Fun".
Correct! "猪肠粉" (Chee Cheong Fun) is the topic of the day!


Shun Tuck Cheong Fun
People's Park Cooked Food Centre #01-1100
"Shun Tuck Cheong Fun" serves quite a variety of cheong fun. There are "chicken with mushroom on cheong fun", "lettuce & egg on cheong fun", "curry yong tau foo cheong fun", "luo han zhai on cheong fun", "black beans pork ribs on cheong fun", "chicken/pork chop on cheong fun/brown rice with black pepper/spicy sauce" and even "zha jiang/floss cheong fun maki roll". With so much variety to pick from, I decided to pick the "Chicken Chop with Black Pepper Sauce Cheong Fun".

Chicken Chop with Black Pepper Sauce Cheong Fun
S$3.50
Slippery and soft white rice sheets soaked in a surprisingly tasty and spicy black pepper sauce. The sauce was very dense and rather oily, but the rich taste of black pepper and garlic worked its way around the surface of the thick cheong fun. The cheong fun is not "tissue paper-thin" which is much preferred when having chee cheong fun, but Shun Tuck Cheong Fun used thicker cheong fun to give it more texture. Non-breaded chicken chop fried till crispy sits on top of the cheong fun together with a some lettuce and cabbage.

Verdict
I am used to having my meat in the cheong fun, I can now do with my meat on my cheong fun. I can also do with other sauces on my cheong fun apart from sweet sauce and sesame seed oil. The thicker cheong fun works for me. The dense black pepper sauce is incredibly good! Though it was rather oily, it does have all the flavour and spicyness. It gives the cheong fun the smoothness when consuming. All I had to do was slurp, three chews and swallow! How simple is that for someone who tends to gobble down good food! The chicken chop is juicy and tender. I had thought that the portion was rather small, but I was actually rather full after the last spoon of the fantastic sauce. Must try!

technorati
tags

Comments