TP-LINK 300Mbps Wireless N Router

TP-LINK Wireless N Router
TL-WR841N
Official Site


Since I have an now using a 50Mbps fiber broadband, I should really utilize the speed of the internet access.
I decide to swap out my old ZyXEL Wireless G Router that transmits at 54Mbps, and go for a Wireless N router.
Wireless N routers are available at 150 Mbps and 300Mbps speeds, with a small price gap.
Instead of setting for a S$25 150Mbps Wireless N router, I decide to fork out a bit more to get a 300Mbps Wireless N router.
I found the cheapest 300Mbps Wireless N Router in Sim Lim at a mere S$40!
TP-LINK actually has another similar version of the same router with product code TL-WR841ND, which comes with 2 detachable Omnidirectional 5dB antenna.

Contents
Contents include guides, installation CD, router with fixed dual antennas, power adaptor and an RJ-45 cable.


TP-LINK 300Mbps Wireless N Router
TL-WR841N


The router comes with 2 fixed 5dB antenna.
This means I cannot swap the antenna with any extended range antennas.
These 2 5dB antenna setup on this router adopts MIMO-technology which bounces the signal better to give me more coverage in my rooms.

The rear of the router has a WAN input port, 4 LAN output ports. power button, Quick connect button and 2 5dB antennas capable of rotation and folding.

This S$40 TP-LINK Wireless N Router comes with a 3 years warranty, which is very important for a device that works 24/7.
How does it fare compared to the old wireless G router with an extended antenna?


Left: Before on old ZyXEL Wireless G Router
Right: After on new TP-LINK 300Mbps Wireless N Router
With the new 300Mbps Wireless N Router, WiFi speed has been improved tremendously!
Download speed improved by more than 5x; Upload speed improved by more than 3x.

The bottleneck of my home setup are the 150Mbps Wireless N adaptors in my laptops and desktop.
The 300Mbps is probably redundant now but serves as future proof.
I had initially thought of rigging up with Homeplugs with WiFi capability, however, that will set me back by at least S$120! My S$40 TP-LINK 300 Mbps Wireless N Router does all the work!

Too bad my new TP-LINK Wireless N Router comes with fixed dual 5dB antenna, I cannot utilize my Aztech 7dB High Gain antenna.
Nonetheless, the faster Wireless N Network and MIMO-technology is able to bounce the signal better into the room and gives an overall much faster rating (though only half of the maximum download speed of 44Mb/s).

With this speed, I can already do HD streaming in my room with no interruptions at all. What more do I still want to ask for?

I love my Fiber connection and new cheap Wireless N Router!

Comments